[plug] X Hangs PPP

Nigel Duff peregrin at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 28 21:52:52 WST 1999

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 steve at rumah.iinet.net.au wrote:

> I dunno about this stuff
>
> Any suggestions about what I should try in order to find out why booting
> Xwindows should cause my dialup PPP to hang will be appreciated.  If X is
> already running and I start ppp it's fine.  Shutdown X and restart it
> (after Netscape locked the GUI up) and ppp was still there but not
> functioning.

 Hi Steve,
  If this only happens after netscape crashes, do a "ps" and kill the pid
for "(dns helper)". It's a child process of Netscape.

eg:

bash$ ps uxf

<snip>
peregrin  1304  1.6 19.1 19248 12140  ?  S    \_ netscape
peregrin  1305  0.0  5.2 14876  3320  ?  S    |   \_ (dns helper)

bash$ kill 1305
(and netscape if it's still around)

...Nigel...