[plug] 486's and RAM

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 29 11:59:16 WST 1999

Like Daniel, we have a 486 with 4 x 1MB RAM chips (and it came with a 40MB
HDD) (3 x 1 type of RAM chip, 1 x another type, from looking at them).

The RAM chips are 30 pin chips.

Next to the bank of four slots, is a bank of two slots, 72 pin.

My understanding is that the two 72 pin slots are also for RAM, and that we
can put 72 pin EDO RAM chips in those slots; also that we can use a pair of
72 pin RAM chips in that bank, with no 30 pin chips in the other bank.

Could someone who knows, please confirm (or otherwise) this; $110 for 2 x
16MB EDO RAM chips (from an Internet price), would likely make it alot
better, than experimenting with a low memory Linux install, and then not
being able to do much with Linux, once it is installed.

I realise that this shows my lack of knowledge, but, if we don't ask, we
don't find out.

Bret Busby