[plug] Help overclocking celeron 300A required

david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au
Tue Mar 30 15:21:12 WST 1999

> > Ohmygosh!!!! the clue meter has _actually_ gone into negative numbers!!
> ;-)
> You Unix people are so arrogant. Have you ever thought that maybe it's us
> windows users who are getting Real Work Done that are superior to you.

And u Windows people are sooo daft / uneducated / gullible .  ;-)  Come-on,
name-calling won't get us anywhere... Basically, I think that your arguments
are technically incorrect... this _is_ a technical mailing list.... I've no
problem with non-computer-people per-se... but it's a falacy to say u don't
need to understand computers to make 'em work properly  (u at leas gotta
know what those icon's you're pointing and clicking on actually mean... ;-)

> > > I'm glad I run Windows so I'll never have to do that - and even if I
> > > did have to do something so arcane, the Help files would tell me
> exactly
> > > how  to do it, so I'd never have any trouble.
> > Point 1: that's just fine and dandy if u don't want to do anything
> complex,
> > but what if u do.
> I can do very complex things in windows. You can do almost anything with
> Visual Basic, and you don't even have to know anything abot programming.

Read "The dumbing down of programming"... it's an article u should find if
you search on those words at most web-search-engines... it's a fallacy u can
program (anyting other than the _very_ simple applications) without knowing
what you're doing.

> > Point 2: I've never found Windows help-systems useful.
> But it's so easy, you just point and click and it will tell you about all
> of the cool features of the program.

Which don't work properly, and have no way of fixing them.

> Sure beats:
>
> $ help
> zsh: command not found: help
> $ man help
> No manual entry for help
> $

For whch I can write a GUI front-end (if I want to), to take the messy
command-line out of my life, safe in the knowledge that:
a. I _can_ fix it if it breaks.
b. It works properly anyway, so it probably won't break.

> > > Windows must be a tech-support worker's dream.
> > Only someone who's never been a tech-worker could say that.
> Yeah, Windows is so easy to use it probably puts tech-support people out
> of jobs. They must hate it.
Actually, this is not the case  -- you need to do sooooo much work to keep a
windows machine alive and well... (I've worked as an NT administrator for
two years before I met Linux - it was love at first sight!!! At last, a
system that _works_.... My first experience was setting up a 486-DX-2
running at 66Mhz (with 32mb RAM) Proxy server that blew away a Pentium 150
with 80MB running NT + MS-proxy... after that, I was hooked... 8-)  BTW, In
the time after this, I had _no_ significant troubles with this proxy -
indeed many of the subsequent fixes for the exchange server (Pentum 200 with
80Mb RAM) at that site involved diverting the work to the linux box.... it
never "yawn" hickuped... and I just loved to log in every morning to the
Linux box just to gloat over the uptime variable which grew and grew day by
day... (OTOH, the highly paid NT consultants we hired to try and get the
Exchange box to work properly suggested rebooting every week or so
_even_if_nothing_had_broken_  just to be safe.... (ie. better to schedule a
reboot than have it happen when u don't want it too)...

Linux lets me get a life outside of tech-support... 8-)