[plug] PLUG members networking

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 30 15:58:32 WST 1999

Leon;

A while ago,  someone (I think it was you) did a kind of survey of mailing
list subscribers' attributes.

I am wondering whether any kind of a record of what PLUG members do, or,
what services they could offer each other, exists.

For example, we are on the verge of getting a new box, and getting another
box upgraded (apart from chasing fast page RAM), and have been trying to get
quotes outside PLUG.

If a list of services that members offer, especially if they are in business
for themselves, could somehow be created, and either incorporated into the
web site, or otherwise somehow accessed by PLUG members, then, perhaps it
would be possible to try to find things within PLUG, before going outside.

I remember someone asking for pricing for a multi processor system, and
then, when a price was put up, criticism was made of the price being given.

Perhaps, also, if listing the types of goods and services offered by
members, could be done on the web site, it might perhaps encourage corporate
memberships; and I would think that members would only be inclined to use
the people that they knew from attending meetings, so it would not just be a
cheap method of advertising for businesses who didn't really have an
interest in PLUG.

I am not sure how  a person putting a request for a quote on the mailing
list would be received.

Bret Busby