[plug] newbie device question

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Tue Mar 30 23:39:05 WST 1999

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, zed wrote:
> ive installed and been running red hat 5.2 on a 3 gig ide hard drive.
> i have my cd reader and floppy drive ok.
You mean you can mount them manually, right?

> at the boot up sequence it mentions my scsi cd writer and my ide zip
> drive
It mentions detecting them, I assume, not mounting them?

> in my etc/mtab and etc/fstab files  it only mentions normal hard drive
> partitions etc.. how do go about setting these up...
Edit fstab to include the other filesystems you want mounted.
"man fstab" if need be.

> do i have to recompile the kernel?
> even though they are listed at boot up?
Nope, that means the kernel has found them fine and you just need to tell
init to mount them at boot time.

Well, Michael Hunt did tell me to:
"Please go back [to my "world where you have a clouded judgement that has
all been brought about by looking at a MS background for to long"] and let
us get some real work helping people done."
So I hope this counts as "real work helping people".

-Greg Mildenhall