[plug] ATAPI CD-ROM read corruption.

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 31 08:47:32 WST 1999

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> Are you sure it's the drive, not the MP3 player or the sound driver or
> something? is it actually corruption or just stuttering and skipping
> caused by IDE timeouts? Are you getting corruption on data CDs, too?

Ok, I had an MP3 already on my HDD, and I had the same MP3 on the CD.
The one on the HDD played fine, the one on the CD not so much. It is
actually skipping chunks, and with kmp3 it was printing some error
messages to the term as the errors occurred.

I copied some MP3's from the CD to the HDD (ie; cp command), then played
them from the HDD and they were still corrupt, so the corruption was
from reading from the CD. I rebooted into Win98, and the one on the HDD
(copied under linux) was still corrupt (with the latest WinAmp), while I
could play the original fine directly off CD.

It's definitely data corruption reading from CD under Linux.

I didn't have time to test other data formats. I'll try more thoroughly
tonight...

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :