[plug] uucp polling question

brian coleman bigbrianc at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:59:47 WST 1999

Luigi,

Depending on the version of UUCP you are using the actual implementation
varies but usually you will find 4 entries in the crontab for UUCP. Two
of these relate to housekeeping (ie cleaning up logs after a certain
number of days, cleaning up uucppublic, etc) and two of them relate to
polling. The two related to polling are generally called something like
"uudemon.poll" and "uudemon.hour".

"uudemon.poll" examines the "Poll" file in "/usr/lib/uucp" or
"/usr/lib/uucp/hdb" or wherever and posts a entry to the queue for a
particular site if it is scheduled for a poll at the current hour and
the is no outstanding requests for the site.

"uudemon.hour" examines the UUCP status files to see if there are
outstanding requests for a particular site, if there is an outstanding
request and it is within the allowed time for contacting the site it
then attempts to connect to the site.

The trick to getting multiple versions of uusched and therefore uucico
running at the same time is the make a number of entries in crontab for
the same time which should be a minute or two after the "uudemon.poll"
entry.

If you wish to have multiple polls within the same hour you only have to
make multiple entries for "uudemon.poll" and "uudemon.hour" at whatever
intervals you require.

Incidentally I make a lot of use of UUCP for file transfer over TCP/IP
networks as it provides a secure mode of unattended operation which
standard ftp cannot match.

Brian Coleman