[plug] ATAPI CD-ROM read corruption.

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 31 20:51:53 WST 1999

Andrew Howell wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 11:52:25PM -0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > Anyone know why my IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM would be corrupting data as it is read from
> > the CD?? (Kernel 2.2.5).
>
> Tried booting an older kernel?

Well, I tried all the kernels starting from 2.2.1, and eventually found
the problem cropped up in 2.2.4!! Upon investigation, I found that patch
(for ide-cd.c) had something specific to my particular CD-ROM drive
(GoldStar GCD-R580B).

I mailed the maintainer, and apparently that change only affects SOME of
the GCD-R580B's, and he's working on a fix-it patch now. ^_^

This is the second time I've had some specific hardware problem. The
first was my SB AWE 64 at work, which pnputils would detect, but the
ALSA wouldn't recognise. It had some PNP code that they didn't have in
their config file. ^_^;;

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :