[plug] Crypt/Decrypt?

Christian christian at global.net.au
Mon May 3 16:31:13 WST 1999

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Sat, 1 May 1999, Tamara Thompson wrote:
>
> > But still, sure was easy having a distrib with an encrypt prgm included
> > with it.
>
> The reason no distribution comes with encryption, is because under U.S.
> law encryption is classed as a weapon, and it's illegal to export weapons
> from the U.S.  That would mean RedHat can't sell to anyone but U.S.
> citizens, and those U.S. citizens would not be allowed to
> a) put it on a world-accessible ftp site
> b) post the CDs to another country

Actually, the crypt program Tamara was asking about wouldn't be
restricted under ITAR since it's at the very opposite end of the scale
from strong crypto.  But aside from this, you're completely right. :)

Regards,

Christian.

BTW, that mcrypt program I suggested didn't compile cleanly on my system
and I haven't had time to fiddle with it - anyone else have any
problems? (this is mainly directed at you, Tamara. :)