[plug] What do you school-age members think of SlashDot'sHellMouth articles?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue May 4 10:40:32 WST 1999

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Christian wrote:

> John Summerfield wrote:
> > > I still don't think the guns are the problem.  They are just tools, to be use
> > > d or misused.  It's very tres-chic liberal bunny hugger to blame the guns.

> Geez, seriously - people are getting massacred and yet it's still
> possible to express a point of view like "Guns aren't the problem - it's

Yes and yes. I think we might all agree if we re-phrase the terms.
There is an important distinction between guns _causing_ the problem,
and guns increasing the consequences of an existing problem.

Here in Oz we tend to agree on just allowing hunting weapons, but
there's no chance of that in the US. Trying to stop the militias or
their weapons would need a constitutional change which could trigger
countless loonies to declare war on their "evil emperor" X-files
government. (no doubt seeing it as a prelude to a UN invasion)

  Like the car of a drunk driver is not to blame, but banning cars would
save many lives. We react with horror at that thought -its not worth it.
But that is how gun fans see gun control.

  I suggest we start by banning large 4WDs, unless the owners can prove
they are required for regular use off-road or on bad gravel roads.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
                -- Rich Kulawiec