[plug] What do you school-age members think of SlashDot'sHellMouth articles?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue May 4 18:03:07 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> > "if guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns."

>  Where will outlaws get the guns if there is no-one to steal them from?

And here was me, thinking of Myk as being reasonably bright... (-:

> Are you saying it would be impossible to remove existing guns, or stop
> illegal imports?

Certainly impractical.

> > 3. The strictest of measures were taken to keep them out of other hands.

> It was never strict enough here. Gunshops rely on padlocks and insurance.
> Would you agree to weapons being stored in steel&concrete armouries,
> with time-delay locks?  Except for the rich, that would mean keeping
> them at the gun club, or militia barracks. I cant see a cheap
> way to secure deadly weapons.

I can. Both the Germans and the Russians used it before WW2. The
dissidents later had their secured weapons used against themselves.

> A noble ideal, but in those days, one nutter with a muzzle loader
> couldn't do so much damage.

Another with a tin of ether could do much more.

>> The 'net
>> takes control of the media out of the hands of the centralised powers, and

Bit sweeping a statement, Greg old chup.

The 'net provides an _opportunity_ for people to sidestep censorship.
The Aus gummint hasn't really leaned on us in that regard yet, but when
it does, most people will buckle either from fear or because they reckon
it's not worth the trouble of working around.

> I hope so, but we may see 99% of people getting there news from the same
> big 'portal' sites, controlled by the same Murdochs and Packers.

Or at least being dumped at these portal sites when they exit HotMail.
One net cafe I work for has the following in its squirm.patterns file:

regexi ^http://*.msn\.co.*/*\.asp$
http://local.web.site/MSN-replacement.html .asp$
regexi ^http://home\.microsoft\.com.*/$
http://local.web.site/MSN-replacement.html ^http://home.microsoft.

--
mullins <mullins at gil.com.au>:
	please send info on this
Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill at enternet.com.au>:
	Its a four letter word comprising the letters t,h,i and s.
	Be advised to always use them in that sequence.