[plug] Internet oppression - babysitting

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue May 4 19:04:19 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 5/4/99, 6:10:23 PM, Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.smileys.net> wrote
regarding Re: [plug] Internet oppression - babysitting:

> Gary Allpike wrote:
> > Responsibility for protecting children from porn and bomb making
recipies
> > lies with the parents of these children. NOT with the government!

> > I as an ISP do NOT want to babysit your children.

> Well said, Gary!

> Nor do I want to be jailed when said babysittees discover https: and
are
> in turn discovered using it (through a system I administer) to view
> people indulging in disgusting and possibly painful acts.

How about this, to consider; tellycomm was one of the first
signatories. Microsoft has a relationship with tellycomm. Tellycom
decides that things like PLUG mailing lists are objectionable. Goodbye
mailing list. Then, Rob, where would you be able to vent your
opinions?

It is not just that Linux might be regarded as objectionable, by those
in power, but, any expressed opinions, that are not consistent with
the people in power, could end up with some heavily built people
knocking at your door, in the middle of the night, to apply the law.

Try considering that. And, remember the book, "1984".

And, remember, "The price of freedom, is to be ever vigilant". I am
not sure of the source, so cannot cite it.

Bret Busby