[plug] What do you school-age members think of SlashDot'sHellMouth articles?

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue May 4 19:20:02 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 5/4/99, 5:13:45 PM, Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.smileys.net> wrote
regarding Re: [plug] What do you school-age members think of
SlashDot'sHellMouth articles?:

> Tamara Thompson wrote:
> > I still don't think the guns are the problem.  They are just tools, to
be used or misused.  It's very tres-chic liberal bunny hugger to blame the
guns.

> Agree. A hammer can build houses or smash skulls. A gun can defend or
> offend.

> > Maybe simple stress management training.  Maybe cultural awareness and
responsibility.  Most Americans don't particularly value education.  Most
feel that if a kid goes off, it's not *our* issue, it's the family's.  I
look around today and notice that it's easy to spot troubled kids when
they are as young as 6 or 7.  It's harder to devote time and energy to
prevent future problems.

> Maybe give the chilluns back to their families, and revert a few laws
so
> that parents have _responsibility_ for what their children do, and
> _authority_ to manage their own children without being carted off to
> jail for assault. I'd favour laws where parents wore all penalties for
> their childrens' mistakes up to about 12yo, then maybe half the
penalty
> until they're 18. Some families will stuff up, but nothing like the
> social systems are already doing now (and getting steadily worse).

I have just got the latest local rag. About a week ago, some locals
found that their calves had been brutally smashed, and stoned to
death. On the front page of today's issue, is an article, wherein a
mother says that her 6 year old son was involved, with a group of
other young kids, in the brutality. She said that she found out, and
confronted her son about it, then notified the SPCA, and the police.
The police can't take any action against the child, because do-gooders
in the governments, have stopped children from being punished for
anything (it is now an offence for a parent to discipline its child).
Hopefully, the little brat got the scare of its life, when the law
enforcement authorities became involved, and, then, hopefully, it had
to wash its pants, afterwards. And, hopefully, it will not do anything
like that again. But, when reasonable discipline becomes a punishable
offence, then, there is something seriously wrong.

Bret Busby