[plug] Linux and Star Office

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue May 4 23:34:59 WST 1999

On 5/4/99, 9:27:09 PM, russ <russ at powerstech.com> wrote regarding Re:
[plug] Linux and Star Office:

> Speaking of star office (but not dates). Has anyone ever gotten it
> configured for mail and browsing? Every time I try it just shuts down.
> Completely disappears and I have to restart it.

Hello, Russ.

I have got it kind of working, so that I can use the email, and the
browsing.

However, whatever you do, do not try to change the font for text that
you already have. Crash!

Have a look in the Tools->Options menu, to configure it as best you
can. It appears to have not much in the way of configuration.

What I would like to know, now, apart from everything else, is whether
it will print on anything other than postscript printers, and, if so,
how do we get it to so do?

We have an HP DeskJet 500C, that I have just got going, by fixing the
cartridge, and while we can print to it using the RH 5.2 ascii test
page, and from the Linux command line, Star Office appears to allow
only postscript printing; ie, printing to postscript printers. In
going to the printer setup in Star Office, the only printer drivers
that are available, are all postscript printer drivers.

I have found that, if I move the mouse pointer up into the top of the
screen, so it is pointing at empty toolbar, the nuisance boxes stop
appearing.

Bret Busby