[plug] inetd

Rob Hall rhall at echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au
Wed May 5 20:12:33 WST 1999

Here's a thought with my inetd problem.

The server causing the problem dials up using diald.  Diald sets up a proxy
and monitors traffic.

hosts.allow,deny works if I start with an empty config (ie blank
hosts.allow,deny) before dialup.  I can then set up the rules and all works
fine.  If the link goes down for some reason telnet, finger and ping don't
respond.  I have all sorts of trouble.

Maybe the proxy for diald messes things up somewhat and I should restart
inetd when diald connects. ie maybe inetd runs best inside of diald instead
of the other way around.

Was does everyone think?

I was going to give it a try tonight from the server I have here that works
fine, but I left the install disk on site.  Would someone have the RPM (on
the RH5.2 contrib 2 disk) that they could email to me?  It would be
appreciated.

Regards,

Rob