[plug] Re: Irony

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu May 6 13:34:03 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 5/6/99, 1:10:48 PM, Matt Kemner <zombie at networx.net.au> wrote
regarding Irony (Re: [plug] Star Office and Linux):

>  - Matt
> P.S. Rule #1 for reading email.. Always assume the other person is
>      using sarcasm before reaching for your flame thrower.

The problem is that, with the nature of all the messages that have
been going around on the mailing list, it can be difficult to know
whether a person is being sincere, or is just trolling, or whatever.

I had assumed, apart from the use of silly pseudonyms, like B G Gruff,
or some of the stuff that has been posted by Leon, which clearly shows
that he is "funnin", that the people were sincere.

Given that we cannot see each other, but can only read what each other
has written, I understood that the practice is to take each other's
messages as sincere.

Given that much hostility and animosity has been expressed on the
mailing list, by some people, to me it must be assumed that the people
mean what they say.

Some people have strongly condemned, and criticised others, for what
they have said, or done on the mailing list, so, when a message such
as the one to which I responded, appears, how am I to know other than
it was sincere?

Similarly, if we are not to take what is said, seriously, if we ask
for advice, how are we to know that someone is not sending advice that
will stuff our systems, as some kind of joke?

Bret Busby