[plug] Re: Irony

Bradley Browne brad at argo.net.au
Thu May 6 14:22:36 WST 1999

I think it is time for a distribution war to calm everyone's nerves ;-)

I just forcibly installed GNOME on my Redhat 5.2 box from a PC World
Disk.  It was too much trouble to individually seek out the dependencies
so I just did "rpm -i --nodeps --force *" figuring I could always
reinstall the lot from scratch because I have most things on CD.

My points are these : how can I just select a package to install and
then based on the dependencies rely on rpm to prompt me to
upgrade/install other packages that are present so that I don't have to
hunt around for them.  Also what kind of problems am I causing for
myself by doing this, assuming I have a pretty stock standard 5.2 system
? :P

On GNOME, I am really impressed.  I was expecting some limited kind of
functionality but I was a little dumfounded at the extent to which these
apps have been developed.  Not to appear sceptical of the Open Source
initiative but I really did not expect a product of this calibre to
arise in such a short time.  It seems like only yesterday I was reading
about the nascent efforts of RedHat and KDE to develop a desktop
environment and the fact that this would be an uphill battle.

I'm loving it.

brad