[plug] Console group

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Thu May 6 15:11:04 WST 1999

> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Michael Hunt wrote:
>
> > This outlines information on the new console group that RedHat has
> > introduced into its 6.0 distro. (Ok so you can do this yourself
>
> Brilliant idea.
> Groups have long been the correct way to control device access,
> but this idea of "dynamic" groups (depending on your login) seems new.
> has it been used before?

Well I don't think it has been a new ingenious bit of code writing by
RedHat. I do think that they have just put the tools into the hands of the
user and made it easy for newbie types to be able to this themselves. I
think group assignment might become more popular and used as people migrate
from  NT to Linux as this happens to be quite common practise in an NT
environment.