[plug] Linux isn't there yet

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Fri May 7 13:03:02 WST 1999

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Bret Busby wrote:

> I realise that I am new to Linux, but I understood that Linux, as a
> version of Linux, was not subject to the century bug, but was instead
> subject to the year 2038 bug.

You are right, and that's effectively what the Samba page says
But the trouble is, although the Linux kernel itself, and all utilities
that use the "standard" way of talking about time, it is possible that
someone wrote a utility that converts time to "human" format, and does
calculations on that. If the programmer only used the last 2 digits for
the year to work on, then it's possible we have a y2k problem.
Unlikely, but the possibility is there.

The main y2k problem that troubles linux, is the fact there is no
"corporate body" that can stand up and say "Linux is y2k compliant"
Big corporations and Govt. departments need this, so they can pass the
blame when something fails in 7 1/2 months time.
(I know Networx has already received several requests from companies that
us as their ISP, asking if we are y2k compliant)

 - Matt(who sorely hopes we don't suffer from a non-y2k related downtime
(eg a hard drive decides to pack it in right on that day) on the 1st of
January because we will probably face several lawsuits :P)