[plug] Linux isn't there yet

Paul Repacholi prep at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 7 18:36:52 WST 1999

I realise that I am new to Linux, but I understood that Linux, as a
version of Linux, was not subject to the century bug, but was instead
subject to the year 2038 bug.

OK, brush up your maths...

Way long ago, 4 Mb for  all of UWA was a huge system...  The
PDP-6 in fact. SO, you did all sortss of tricks to use every
single last bit. So aascii dates used 2 chars or digits, and
systems  often uncoded them to some small range  of years.

This is welll and   good, but. A side effect is that dates
are no longer integers, but are definded  as a ring. (  Well,
some don't eveen get that far. They crash on overflow...)
The industry `answer'  is not to learn to count, but to
move the ring offset so as  to delay the day of recooning yet
again, and ensure  future revenue ;) In detail, the two digit
year mapping  is changed. Or as an aastroonimer would say,
we define e  new epoch Or in fact define  2 epochs. If the
number is less than some number, we map it to  a 2000
based  epoch, and if greater,  to a 19000 based epoch.

~paul