[plug] censorship

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sat May 8 14:43:08 WST 1999

On 5/8/99, 1:35:56 PM, "Rob Hall" <rhall at echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au> wrote
regarding [plug] censorship:

> Interesting article on the controversial Broadcasting Services
Amendment
> (Online Services) Act

>  http://www.afr.com.au/content/990508/perspective/perspective1.html

> Rob

So, the darkness on the Internet may begin next week. And then,
Harradine and Alston can goose-step together, in public, in their
jackboots, and it will be known that Australia has lost even more
possibility of free speech.

Such is the way of oppression.

Just out of interest, I believe that the "porn" industry on the
Internet, is widely held responsible for the development of Internet
commerce (not to be confused with e-commerce, which includes normal
eftpos and use of bank atm's etc).

It is no doubt that, with the feral government's blocking Internet
commerce in this country, with the obstruction of the use of
worthwhile encryption for financial transactions, that they would
further block it, by trying to implement a government-run Internet
facility in Australia. When we are stuck with a state-run Internet in
Australia, dictating what people may and may not say in their
communication, then beware of who knocks on your doors at night. It
may be worse than someone trying to rob you. It may be the thought
police, come to make you disappear, due to criticising President
Harradine, or, one of his mate companies, AOL or M$ or the Big Swamp
Company.

Perhaps George Orwell ("1984") is responsible for giving the
brownshirts that are the feral government, the ideas of thought
police, etc.

Bret Busby