[plug] RedHat 6.0 (was Debian 2.1 Slink)

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed May 12 10:56:26 WST 1999

> > You shouldn't need to recompile anything ....
> > try something like:
> >
> > ipchains -F
> > ipchains -P forward DENY
> > ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
> > modprobe ip_masq_ftp
> > modprobe ip_masq_irc
> > modprobe ip_masq_raudio
> > modprobe ip_masq_quake
> >
> > in /etc/rc.d/rc.local ....
>
> and quite likely this:
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Thanks John. That certainly is needed but I had checked the box in the
control panel to enable ip forwarding.  The commands above work a treat so
now I am just reading up on IP Chains so as to make the firewall a bit more
secure. (Thanks Anthony !!!!)

The only issue I have know is getting samba printing to work under RH 6.0.
Basically I rebuilt my machine from scratch (keeping copies of important
files on another disk). I then recopied my smb.conf across and set-up a new
printcap file. The only change was that my new printcap file pointed to lp0
rather than lp1 (I believe this is because of kernel changes that make
things more tidy/consistent).  I can print both ascii and postscript tests
from the print config tool on the Linux box but when I try to do the same
thing from the windows box the job just disappears and I get no response
from the printer.  I have included a copy of my printcap file and relevant
detail from smb.conf though they look correct to me.

Am I missing something obvious here ???? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

/etc/printcap

#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 300x300 a4 {} DeskJet550 3 {}
lphpdj01:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lphpdj01:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/lphpdj01/filter:

/etc/smb.conf <snipped relevant sections>

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from
# Date: 1999/05/08 10:36:22

# Global parameters
	workgroup = HOMENET
	server string = HOMENET Server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password level = 2
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	read prediction = Yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
	logon script = scripts\standard.bat
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	hosts allow = localhost, 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
	hosts deny = *.*.*.*

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba