[plug] Mail and IMAP server questions.

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed May 19 14:39:35 WST 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Christian wrote:

> Another MTA you might want to consider is smail.  It's small, quite
> light-weight, very easy to configure and largely compatible with
> sendmail.  I also don't think there have been any security issues with
> it EVER which there have been with the other two.  I'm not sure how
> suitable it is for large volume sites

Works fine here (10000+ emails/day on a K5-100 that also runs a large
volume website).
The main reason I started using smail, was because way back when I was
first setting Networx up, there was a new Sendmail security hole
found every week (or so it seemed) and smail was the debian default MTA
at the time.

>(although it's probably not that bad since it's the default Debian MTA)

Actually I believe exim is the Debian default now. I've never looked at
exim though, so I have no idea why. :)

> and it's certainly not as flexible/powerful as sendmail

I can do anything under smail you can do under sendmail. :)

I'm seriously considering changing to postfix though.
I've been avoiding it mainly because I've just got smail configured
exactly the way I want it, and if it aint broke, why fix it?
But from what I've read about postfix, it looks like the way to go.

 - Matt