[plug] SCO?

marks at fs.com.au marks at fs.com.au
Wed May 26 17:08:55 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > On Wed, 26 May 1999, Christian wrote:
> >
> > > Apologies for using such a name on this mailing list, but does anyone
> > > happen to know where SCO Unix can be obtained in Perth?  I remember a
> > > few years back they were giving away copies to students and enthusiasts
> > > for the price of the media... does anyone know if that's still the case?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Christian.
> > > --
> >
> >  On a similar note. I have 3 old rs/6000 sitting here that i've been
> > meaning to do something with. They came without drives, but i've been
> > given a couple of old Intergrapgh machines with scsi drives in them. Does
> > anyone know if i am able to get a cheap OS for them. I'm not even sure
> > what they're meant to take. Irix?
> >

> They're IBM boxes. They run AIX and  (I believe) the PPC version of Linux.

I though the question was relating to what OS the integraph machines run, to
which m answer would be dunno...

Older RS6000 machines don't have a PPC architecture, they have a RISC (tm,
although they are risc processors) architecture, which linux has not been
ported to... Interestingly enough, under AIX it doesn't matter which
architecture you port applications to (PPC or RISC), the resultant binary is
interoperable... I don't know how they do it, tho...

Mark