[plug] Censorship - this thread needs a new home...

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 27 21:18:12 WST 1999

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 05:24:17PM +0700, Paul Wilson wrote:
> Hold on, that piece says that most emails wouldn't be included (they're
> private transactions) - it's just those sent to a group. I assume that a
> group is either mailing list or newsgroup in this context.

It doesn't say anything about private transactions being OK, what it
says is that they don't feel inclined to monitor them as a matter of
course (gee, thanks) so they're probably not going to catch you. Well,
except for the DSD staff, who'll probably have a jolly little chuckle
at the mere idea of you sending a "private" email.

What it boils down to that access to some types of information is a crime.
Context is irrelevant, the local laws of where the information is are
irrelevant, the reason for its access is irrelevant. Thoughtcrime.

Access to other types of information is only legal with an approved
identification scheme. (No official one exists yet. It'll probably turn
out to be credit card details) No anonymous browsing ; one would have to
authenticate oneself to any sites which provided material unsuitable
for children - general news, many computer games, health issues,
homosexuality, drug rehabilitation, etc.

<sigh>

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal