[plug] Arguments in favour?

Mark J Gaynor mark at scouts.org.au
Fri May 28 12:57:53 WST 1999

At 11:30 AM 5/28/99 +0800, you wrote:

I agree with most if not all of what has been said.

This bill, as unworkable that it is reminds me of the debate that followed
the release of vcr's on copywrite. That has not stopped the illegal recordings
of the average citizen. To persue the issue of prosecuting eveyone would tie
up the judicial system for thousands of years, and that is seen as unworkable.

The bill is a document that politicans can point to and say they have done
something about the problem. It is now not their problem, but one for law
enforcement, as always. As I said to people when all this started, the only
way for it to work is to unplug Australia from the internet. Like I see that
happening. It would last a day, if that, after business takes class action
for lost income against the government.

A good way to get your point across is to have a standard, well drafted
document
that supporters against the bill can sign etc. and give them a list of fax
numbers
they can fax it to. ALL the POLIES in Canbera and their local reps. They
will get
the drift from their constituents if you threaten to change your support.
This is
where the real power for change is, at the grass roots, and it is a long
haul. The
most that may happen is a delay in the final implimentation. If it can be
shown
it is really unworkable and that the size of Australian internet content is
insignificant compared to the rest of the GLOBAL internet content, who
knows it
may just make the pollies wake up to themselves. They may realize that team
play
may be better than dictatorship.

When it all boils down, the problem lies with the failure of parents to
properly
supervise their children effectively and want someone else to do it for
them. That
brings us full circle again.

It is unworkable, unfair, uneforceable maybe, but we will probably have to
live with
it.

That's my $0.05 worth (inflation plus TAX/GST)

Mark