[plug] Apache non-ip virtual hosting

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Sun May 30 22:12:30 WST 1999

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> > Does anyone out there use non-ip (name) virtual hosting of
> > web sites with apache? Anyone notice any problems with it?
>
> Yes I have used it in the past, and the only problems I had occured
> when I upgraded from the Apache 1.2 series to the 1.3 series, because
> there are some differences in the way it is handled.  Make sure you
> read the correct version of the documentation when setting it up. :-)
>
> Be aware that Web browsers prior to Netscape 1.1 (and including MSIE
> 2.0) do not function with non-ip virtual hosting, because they do not
> support the HTTP 1.1 protocol.

Thanks Jeremy

I will probably have to use convential ip-aliasing and ip virtual hosting
as a result of the http 1.1 requirement. I just checked the access logs
for a low profile apache server and saw about %20 of the traffic seemed
to come from browsers using http 1.0.

Does this sound about right for http 1.1 vs http 1.0 usage?

Garth