[plug] games, demos for 3D cards on Linux

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon May 31 14:53:54 WST 1999

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Mike Holland wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
>
> > Yes some of the xscreensaver commands leon showed us use Mesa.  You can
> > v\build Mesa to be 3Dfx aware and therfor use hadreware accel.  it looks much
> > nicer and quite abit faster.
>
> Ta. The xscreensaver man page mentions one 'hack' called 'gears', but i
> dont have it. I will search sunsite, etc.

RedHat only put the hacks that will work with a default install, Mesa is not
part of said install. I don't know whay tho.

>   (Is sunsite still the place to look?)

Yes and no ..... You can get the full source from
ftp://thor.cantech.net.au/ ... just have a little hunt.

> I have libMesaGL.so.2.6 for quake. Should i just put that in /lib  & run
> ldconfig ?

I put mine in /usr/local/lib that way RedHat won't touch 'em when you upgrade.

Mesa 3.0 is out and 3.1 is in late beta .....

> What other xscreensaver modules use Mesa?  (Leon?)

gears
superquadrics
morph3d
cage
moebius
stairs
pipes
sproingies
rubik
atlantis
lament
bubble3d
glplanet
pulsar

are the modules that come with xscreensaver 3.12 :)

If you install this then run
xscreensaver&
xscreensaver-command demo ?? (check the readme)

You should then be able to runn all the "hacks" one by one :)

Yours Tony.