[plug] Re: LS-120 drives at UWA

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon May 31 22:14:40 WST 1999

GB wrote:
> > How do you get linux to recognise them?  I have an internal LS120 which
> > works fine under W98, but when I've tried to mount it under RH5.2 I can't
> > seem to get it to work.  Is there something I need to define in the file
> > system type?

I haven't tried under 2.0.*, but inder 2.2.* (and so presumably 2.1.*
and 2.3.*) as long as the kernel knows about weird IDE drives (no, I
can't remember exactly which config setting, off the top of my head), it
appears as one /dev/hd[abcd] and mounts normally (indeed, I believe you
can boot from them nowadays, _if_ the particular BIOS supports it). You
might like to try (1) making sure that the disk is formatted and (2) try
adding -t vfat or -t ext2 or whatever to your mount command.