[plug] finally starting to get somewhere

Stephen Smart sinister at servcom.net.au
Mon Nov 1 15:20:41 WST 1999

Well a least Im in an account now not root, a small step but one in the right
direction.
The connection works fine but I can´t start any applications?
Answer I found
You probably have activated the Auto-configure hostname option and the X Server
has problems connecting to your newly named host. If you really need this
option (chances are that you don´t) you are on your own to setup the
appropriate authorisations. Issuing xhost + before starting the connection
would do the job, but be warned of any security risks that involves since
everyone else is granted access to your X Server.

(I had a look and the Auto-configure is not ticked, I use the xhost +
and all works fine again but what sort of security risk are we talking about
here.) Also when I log out or reboot it says "Welcome to Dup161.servcom.net.au"

Auto-configure Hostname from this IP
Select this option if you want kppp to set the hostname and domain for your machine
after successful setup of a ppp link on connect. This is done by querying the
defined Domain Name Server with the ip assigned for the ppp link. This option
is useful for those stand-alone machines which want to use protocols like talk
which require the hostname to be the same as your machine is known in the
Internet. It overrides the Domain Name Option in the DNS Section. The machine
defaults are restored to the original values when you close the ppp link Be
careful when choosing this option: It may prove useful to you, but it may also
cause lots of undesired side effect. Just play with it ...

Anyone know how to correct this?

--
Cheers Max
When I read about the evils of drinking