[plug] Sound Card Advice

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Tue Nov 2 15:34:17 WST 1999

Hi all

I recently bought myself a cheap replacement sound card locally with an
es1370 chip.  It replaced an aging sb16 card  that finally gave up. Its
been with me since my first  second hand 386  and been in every machine
I have had since.

Have just discovered the es1370 does not support midi files in hardware
and although TiMidity does sound pretty fine it is a little to much for
my low end
machine.  I can probably pass this es1370 card along to one of the
siblings.

What consensus if any is there on a PCI sound card that will support
midi via /dev/sequencer and  will setup up out of the box without too
much fiddling , oh yeah and under one hundred bucks if  possible.

Mark