[plug] Backups

Nevile Pires nevile.pires at satcom.com.au
Tue Nov 2 15:39:14 WST 1999

Hi

I am running a Linux machine and wanted to Backup this Linux Server using
"Seagate Backup Exec for NT" software.  I have loaded the Linux agent for
this program onto the Linux server.  When I run a back-up job the system
allows me select what directories I want to backup (from the NT machine,
using Seagate s/w, I can see all the Directories and Files under the "/" of
the Linux machine).

The job starts to run, but then just goes on hold and I have to cancel the
backup job.  The Backup log file says that "Access was denied" to these
folders (for example, "Access Denied to directory /bin") that I selected to
Backup.  I have tried the same thing with the standard NT Server Backup
software, that comes with NT, and recieved the same Access denied error.

I am attaching to the Linux Server using ROOT and the Linux server has SAMBA
running.  Some of the Directories are enabled so they can be accessed by
anyone within our company, i.e no restrictions on the Permissions for that
directory.
Does anyone know of a setting(s) that might be restricting access to these
directories (in SAMBA or elsewhere)?? Or is anyone using some Backup
software on an NT machine, to back up a Linux machine??

Regards

Nev