[plug] PPP connection problems to Vianet

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Nov 3 11:53:51 WST 1999

Greg Raftery wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone on the list dialup to Vianet? I am having problems establishing
> my PPP connection, and my call to their support line resulted in lots of
> 'umms' and 'ahhs', and 'i don't knows'.
>
> I am logging in manually via minicom, which is fine. I enter
> username/password and then I see the PPP garbage as per the PPP-HOWTO.
>
> I then manually bringing up the ppp interface with this command :
>
> pppd -d -detach /dev/cua1 &
>
> Which does nothing and then drops the connection. See below.
>
> >From the HOWTO, I was under the impression that if I can enter the
> username/password then PAP isn't being used, and the support bloke on the
> phone said it wasn't.
>
> In my log files, it seems PAP authentication is being requested by the
> dialin server. Is this what is happening? If so, is the pap-secrets file is
> the way to go?
>
> Here is the log from one of my attempts to dial in. The link drops after the
> last ConfRej.
>
> Regards,
> Greg Raftery

My ISP uses PAP, OR I can log in manually. I'm not to familiar with what
they use, but I guess it's mgetty or similar.
What seems to happen when I log in, is thier server autodetects that I'm
using
ppp and just negotiates automaticly.
If I dial in with minicom, I get the standard Name: Password: prompt,
then
it drops me to a ppp connection. Either way works fine.
Try either setting the noauth option in ppp, or setup your pap-secrets
file
and let ppp do all the work.

--
Brad.    /"\