[plug] Flush out the mqueue for Qmail

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Thu Nov 4 16:26:59 WST 1999

Subba Rao wrote:

> How do I remove couple of notes in the queue? They have been in the queue for
> over 2 days.

It is possible, but you shouldn't need to worry.  Qmail has a fairly good
algorithm for resending failed messages.  This problem most often happens with
the "hotmail" type recipients where the account exists but the remote server is
too busy to accept the message (possibly due to large attachments).  If the
recipient account doesn't exist then Qmail will respond immediately to the
sender.

If the message isn't successfully sent after a few days Qmail returns it to the
originator with a suitably worded message.  I have found it best to not fiddle
with the default Qmail settings for these types of things.

> 1. How do I do address rewrite, for each seperate account? Each user on my
> system has seperate Internet accounts.
> (Please keep in mind that my LAN has a fake domainname).

I am not certain what you mean here by "address rewrite".  It is relatively
trivial to create virtual domains in Qmail, see the FAQ.

> 2. How is mail received by Qmail from the different sources for each user? Is
> it through fetchmail and such programs?

Qmail acts as a recipient for mail being _sent_ to your domain.  The remote
mail servers connect to your machine to "deposit" their mail.  If you don't
have continuous Internet presence then you should perhaps look at fetchmail,
which actively collects mail from one or more remote servers.  In this case you
need to arrange for someone with continuous Internet presence to hold your mail
until you send fetchmail to get it.

I hope this helps.
Colin Rothnie