[plug] Lock the box

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Nov 5 13:42:10 WST 1999

G'day all,
I'm after some advice regarding locking my box down pretty tight.
I have a debian slink box, running 2.2.11 with ppp and diald masq'ing
for my network.
It's IP is 192.168.1.100 and the rest of the network is 192.168.1.*
I pretty much want to deny all incomming connections to the box.
I have commented out all the unused items in inetd.conf and
done a killall -HUP inetd.
netstat -na tells me that there are a lot less ports listening.
Is there an easy way, using ipchains maybe, to deny all incomming
connections,
probably the easy way to do it, is block incomming from ppp0 ?

I'm in the process of reading all the man pages and howto's I can
get my hands on, but I don't really want to experiment too much
as I'm using this as a samba server for some windows boxes and they
tend to get upset when thier feed is cut off all of a sudden.

Cheers all..

--
Brad.    /"\
         \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN