[plug] LyX/LaTeX vs Word: the verdict

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sat Nov 6 15:10:27 WST 1999

Warren Duff wrote:

> I am also keeping it in mind for writing my Thesis due around this time next
> year.  However, I must hand in an electronic version on either disk or CD.
> The school requires it in word format - (restraint of trade if you ask me!).
>
> So is it possible to use LaTeX to convert to a word document to satisfy the
> school's restrictive policy?

I believe there is a LaTeX to RTF converter...  I don't know how well it
works though.

My advice would be to try and negotiate with the school because such a
policy is quite ridiculous.  I would have thought restricting you to one
platform (ok, one and a half if you count Mac) would severely impede the
range of work you could do.  I know in my case it would have been
impossible to use Windows -- in fact all of my thesis was written under
Linux and non-Unix platforms weren't used at all during the course of
the research (sounds a little like one of those disclaimers against
animal cruelty, doesn't it? *grin*).

Regards,

Christian.