[plug] PCI sound card and Linux??

Rick (VK6EP) rickd at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 9 15:09:23 WST 1999

At 10:56 09/11/99 +0800, you wrote:
>the line from my /etc/conf.modules are
>alias sound es1370
>
>Save and exit
>depmod -a
>modprobe sound
>
>You should then be able to run "play" with a filename and here the sounds of
>your choosing.
>
>Yours Tony.

OK, this is what worked. Thank you all for your assistance. (No play
command though)

(SuSE 6.2)

1. Now, is there a way to set sound up automatically when the machine
boots? I've compiled my own kernel and perhaps I should have made the sound
thingy a non-module?   Or is there a boot file I should modify?

2. There should be some sort of audio mixer in console mode, but I'm not
able to discover it. Any clues?

3. Every time I try to rub KMIX in KDE it tells me that it isn't able to
write to
   /dev/mixer
and aborts?

Thanks for your patience.