[plug] Printing Man Pages

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Nov 9 16:25:42 WST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Matt Kemner wrote:

> "man man" would have told you the answer to that:
>
>        man -t alias | lpr -Pps

Wow! Where'd you get your man pages? My redhat comes with a 1995 man page
with:
       -t     Use  /usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc to format the man-
              ual page, passing the output to stdout.  The output
              from  /usr/bin/groff  -Tps  -mandoc  may need to be
              passed through some filter or another before  being
              printed.

Now how many users would find that and see the significance?
  It doesnt even mention the word "postscript".
The docs can suck, but its nice to heard someone say "I searched the docs,
but ...". I guess newbies should take note that they need a good book or
three.

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Damion Hill wrote:

> man <manpagename> | lpr -P<printername>
> got a stack of stuff into my print queue but due to a lack of ink, I

That will work if your output filter understands the backspacing used
by xroff. Try "man man | cat -v" to see what I mean. But it looks
like on screen, at best. Very ugly compared to a proper printout.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
                -- Mark Twain