[plug] PCI sound card and Linux??

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Nov 9 07:08:29 WST 1999

> On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, russ wrote:
>
> > Basically all I had to do was edit /etc/conf.modules
> > It's pretty well commented in the file.
> >
> > Save the file then just shutdown -r now
>
> Whats this - Windoze?  No reboot needed, except for harwarde or kernel
> upgrades. A major reason for kernel modules is to

I've thought of another;-)

It's hard to start using another init without rebooting.

And some problems are best solved with a reboot; yesterday I couldn't
figure why I couldn't print (printer's on another machine). After fiddling
around with lpd and lpc commands, I gave up.

Later I rebooted for some other reason (the system hung!! and I had to
resort to the reset button) and the printing got done.

But yes, I did install support for my SCSI CD device without rebooting, &
that included building and installing kernel modules.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield