[plug] Printing Man Pages

blockley at environ.wa.gov.au blockley at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Nov 10 08:58:08 WST 1999

On  9 Nov, Mike Holland wrote:
>> "man man" would have told you the answer to that:
>>
>>        man -t alias | lpr -Pps
>
> Wow! Where'd you get your man pages? My redhat comes with a 1995 man page
> with:
>        -t     Use  /usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc to format the man-
>               ual page, passing the output to stdout.  The output
>               from  /usr/bin/groff  -Tps  -mandoc  may need to be
>               passed through some filter or another before  being
>               printed.
>
> Now how many users would find that and see the significance?
>   It doesnt even mention the word "postscript".
> The docs can suck, but its nice to heard someone say "I searched the docs,
> but ...". I guess newbies should take note that they need a good book or
> three.

Hehe. Good point that one. Linux docs are getting better but some leave
a lot to be desired for newbies and (some) oldbies (??) alike.

On the subject of printing man pages and on man pages in general tkman
provides a great front end for dealing with man pages and info
documents.  It also provides an easy way to print man pages - although
this is contained under an obscure reference to killing trees in the
menu.

On the downside the latest versions require a patch to be added to Tk
and it can be a little difficult too install.  Your favorite Linux
vendor may have it prepackaged for you (usually slightly older
versions).

Cheers

Adrian
Adrian Blockley (blockley at environ.wa.gov.au) |       Westralia Square,
Department of Environmental Protection       |       141 St George's Tce
Ph:  61 8 9222 7165			     |       Perth 6000
Fax: 61 8 9321 5184 			     |