[plug] RE: Frontpage Server Extensions

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Nov 10 15:45:48 WST 1999

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> But does anyone know of any open source alternatives?  The two things
> that Frontpage + FP Server Extensions can do that no open source
> product that I am aware of can do are:
>
> (a)     Easy remote editing of files.

For this, we use Samba (for PC Clients) and CAP (for Macs). We have a separate
Development and Production environment, where Dev has an account for each
content provider, with write access to their area. They then use our in-house
Publishing tool to publish docs to prod once they're ready. We also have FTP
available for External people.

The PUT method intrigues me, and I think it'd be great if it was supported by a
good Apache module and accompanying Client tools...

> (b)     Automatic generation of navigation buttons etc.

There's standard SSI's. We're starting to use my own Dynamic Web-Templates
system, too, for this sort of thing (plus more).

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :