[plug] Shutdown and mp3's

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Nov 15 11:40:08 WST 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Brad Campbell wrote:

> I did try creating a script that called shutdown -h now
> owned by root and +s, but that did not worl..

That is because there is an inherit security hole in suid shell scripts,
so the kernel ignores the suid bit on them.
Either create a "wrapper" C program that execs the shell script (see the
perlsec(1) manpage for an example of such a wrapper script) or use sudo
(or super, or one of the many similar programs available)

> I was basing my assumption on my obvious misconception that a SCSI
> controller causes the machine to wait less than an IDE controller.

That used to be the case, and perhaps still is to some extent, but I do
not know of any independent testing in this area, so I can only base my
assumptions on my own experiences, and on the regular flame-wars on
linux-kernel between the IDE guys and the SCSI guys. :)

The IDE guys claim the UDMA interface is just as fast, and uses just as
little CPU time, as a bus-mastering SCSI controller.

> Yeah, I know about that one, but there are bugs with buffering if you
> get a stream with a glitch in it. With no buffer, it plays the glitch
> and continues on merrily, but with the buffer enabled, it's like a
> scratched record, the buffer creates a glitch every time it is recycled.

Have you tried different mp3 players? (such as splay)

 - Matt