[plug] Tcpdump and eth0

Subba Rao subb3 at ibm.net
Tue Nov 16 03:24:44 WST 1999

On  0, Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> On 14 Nov 1999 subb3 at ibm.net wrote:
>
> > $ tcpdump -a -v -l -S -i ppp0   <= works fine
> > $ tcpdump -a -v -l -S -i eth0   <= No output of any type from my LAN
>
> Did you try creating traffic to the LAN from your PC? I dont suppose you
> have twisted pair to a smart hub, and expected to see passing traffic?
> Try -n and no -a  to avoid lookups.
> Try both at once in different windows. Is the 2nd version causing traffic
> on ppp?
>
> kwaheri,

Thank you for replying. The culprit was the power cable on the hub.
It was loose and the packets were going never-never-land. The machine at the
other end was a NT box. At the first sign of no-response, I blame the problem
on MS, rather than the hardware problem. Natural instinct. ;-) NT is not that
bad.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Subba Rao
subb3 at ibm.net