[plug] Idiot needs help

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Nov 16 21:13:01 WST 1999

Alright.. Don't tell me.. I know.. I know..
I had a play with hdparm on my live, un-backed up system..
and of course, I corrupted the drive.. to the point that when
I re-booted with my resuce disk and e2fsck'd the root prtition.
I killed several files in /sbin
worst of all being /sbin/init

Interesting side note. Kernel 2.2.11 just locked with a missing
auto message, but 2.0.35 dropped me into a shell with the root
mounted ro.

This is a Debian Potato machine.. so I copied /sbin/init
from a Debian slink machine, and got it up and running.
After discovering I had no swap, I copied /sbin/swap and
got that back. My main problem is, being the fool I am, I
did not write down what files went to the bit bucket from
/sbin, and I'm likley to be missing more of them.
Is there a way, using apt or similar to re-load most of the
debian base packages to get me out of this mess, OR do I just
wait until something fails due to a missing file, and restore
it by hand..

It does not matter how long you play with these things, some
days it's just not worth getting out of bed :p)

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would