[plug] Netscape and GlibC2.1

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Nov 16 13:00:34 WST 1999

> G'day All,
> The problems between GlibC2.1 and Netscape are pretty well known,
> does anybody know where the problem lie? ie, is it a netscape bug
> or GlibC bug?

Well... Other programs don't seem to have problems with glbc 2.1

> On another topic, is there a way for a non-root user so do a
> shutdown -h now?

If you have gnome or KDE installed it's pretty easy.

> And while I'm here.. IDE vs SCSI.
> I have an old box (Cyrix MII-300) I'm using as a jukebox.
> I have 2 soundcards installed, an SB16 Non-PnP and an
> ESSXXXX-PnP, when I play 2 mp3's with mpg123, one through
> each card, every time I get a hard disk read, I get a sound
> stutter. It only happens when I'm playing two at once, but
> it's pretty easy to see the stutter occurs each time the HD led
> comes on.
> I'm using a Fireball CX Drive, so it's no slouch, UDMA Mode with
> a SOYO 5EAS Motherboard (ETEQ Chipset, which from memory is a re-
> badged VIA MVP3)

Have you tweaked the drive with hdparm? I've discovered some drives go a
lot faster (up to 4x), some don't notice the difference. I've found I have
to turn DMA on to use it; then my CPU usage drops.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield