[plug] LyX/LaTeX vs Word: the verdict

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Nov 17 12:42:07 WST 1999

Leon Brooks wrote:
> > If you're using the Borland C++ environment then you can compile your
> > simple C programs as "EasyWin" which gives essentially the same effect
> > as a console program but in a window.
>
> In essence, it simulates DOS for the program.

Is this a statement or a question?  It doesn't really simulate DOS for
the program but I suppose that's a nice way of picturing it.

> OTOH, starting them on Windows is a bad idea because you spend a
> significant amount of time just dealing with Windows and incidentally
> picking up bad habits, especially the assumption that your program owns
> the machine.

Firstly they're going to have to deal with Windows sometime and most
have been dealing with Windows at home for years.  Secondly, and more
importantly from a teaching perspective, the assumption that the program
owns the machine is actually quite a useful one.  Having the
power/freedom to do anything on the machine at a low level allows the
student to learn more than they would be able to otherwise -- that's why
95 was used on the lab machines instead of NT.  The crashing is a pain
but it's still worthwhile in terms of the exposure to internals that the
system grants.  Anyway, I think this thread has wandered a little
off-topic... :)

Regards,

Christian.

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.