[plug] Gateway Machine with cable modem

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Nov 18 12:40:05 WST 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Nathan Alberti wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with cable modems ?
>
> I am trying to set up a customer with a Linux box used as gateway
> machine using a cable modem for outbound data (uses satelite for
> inbound). The problem is, the box does not have a default route yet it
> has no problem sending/receiving data out Eth0 which is connect to the
> cable modem. If you add a default route (like -dev eth0 or to telstra)
> it blackholes the box...

I've heard of this sort of thing happening if you have symetrical routes
enabled in tehr kernel.  debian does enable this by default, which is a very
good idea until ...., anyway if you're running debian then look through the
init scripts /etc/rc.sysinit ??? and see if you can locate the offending
entry.   if you're not running debian then maybe you route tbales and ifconfig
's would help show things up ???

Yours Tony.