[plug] pppd redialling too often

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Thu Nov 18 18:13:41 WST 1999

People,

I have a masq'ing gateway box dialling on demand, and a holdoff setting of
420 (7 minutes).  When the link is dropped from the remote end (ie. my ISP
kicks me off) the link should not be re-established for at least that amount
of time, according to the docs.

This is not what happens - the server tries to re-connect almost
immediately.  It succeeds, then I get kicked off again, the server redials,
etc. etc.  Complicating matters is the fact that I am not supposed to
reconnect for at least 5 minutes, and the ISP resets the clock each time I
log on.  A couple of times this has resulted in over 50 calls over a 4-6
hour period, before a 'Connect script failed' and it stops trying.

Any suggestions?  How do I get it to wait as long as it is supposed to
before redialling?  I am running kernel 2.2.13, pppd 2.3.5

bakes
--
Steve Baker (aka sbaker at icg.net.au) -- Integra Consulting Group
http://www.icg.net.au