[plug] HDD performance

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Nov 19 21:41:27 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > [root at possum summer]# /sbin/hdparm -ti /dev/hda
>
> >  RawCHS=17662/16/63,
>
> > closely related to the rotation speed and the real track capacity (not
> > what the BIOS  thinks or what the drive says).
>
> So is the RawCHS quoted above correct? Do drives really have 16 heads?
>
> Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
>                           --==--
Id suggest maybe 4 heads and a lot more sectors.
Just find out how many platters it has and x 2 for maximum head
numbers. I have never seen more than 3 platters in a 'domestic'
type of drive. thus maximum 6 heads.

The raw readings are still translated by the drive to get around the
archaic ide address field limitations.

For a bit more information, go to http://www.quantum.com
and read the spec sheets on the new fireballs. Pretty Eye opening.

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would