[plug] My first download: netscape...help?!

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Nov 19 20:30:40 WST 1999

Ari Finander wrote:

> Thanks for this!  I'm just taking my first real steps into linux, and
> paranoid about installing/uninstalling programs as I've spent most of my
> computing life working in windows 95 :-(  The Netscape 4.6 was an rpm (I'm
> assuming that's an acronym for something added during installation of my
> Redhat 6.0 linux) but the 4.7 was my first download.  I used the install
> script after unzipping the netscape 4.7 .tar.gz  so I'm hoping it didn't
> deposit things in other folders automatically?  Does anyone know if 4.7 does
> this?

Yep, RPM = Red Hat Package Manager.  You should probably tell 4.7 to
install itself in /usr/local/netscape (tell it this and it will make the
directory itself).  The RPM would probably put the Netscape stuff in
/usr/bin and /usr/lib (can't say for certain) so you should be safe but
it would still be best to uninstall the rpm first.

> Now for my next question: will linux netscape 4.7 accept my windows 95
> netscape 4.7 mail and bookmarks and such?

I would say that it would...  I use Netscape's roaming access feature so
that my bookmarks/preferences etc. are downloaded from a server each
session and updates uploaded at the end.  This allows me to change
between machines without losing all my addressbook stuff etc. and some
machines are Linux while others are Windows.  As for the mail folders, I
can't say for certain but it would be worth giving it a try and seeing.
You might also want to run them through dos2unix (or similar) first to
remove messy additional \r's.

Regards,

Christian.

--
Stone's Law:
	One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"